Supervised climbing hours will be eliminated starting April 1 while we work on refreshing the schedule.
Instead, climb anytime after attending The Basics Class!
Already an experienced climber?
Get belay assess M/Th from 6-9 p.m. & Sat from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Start climbing at The Paul Derda Recreation Center:
Once you complete the top rope belay assessment, the climbing wall will then become available for you to use during both supervised and unsupervised hours. Lead climbing is also available once you have completed a lead assessment. The time frame for completing assessments is dependent on how well you know the information and how busy it is at the wall. We will be assessing climbing skills that you already possess. The Basics class will prepare you if you would like to learn top rope climbing skills. Please allow for plenty of time and understand that you may have to wait if it is busy. If you are concerned with time, you may want to consider a private lesson as an option for the assessment (additional fees apply).
Climbing Wall Notes and Reminders
- All climbers must have a completed waiver and release on file (available online & in facility).
- We provide all equipment needed at no cost. You must have a Recreation Services I.D. card or equipment card in order to check out any equipment. The card is free if you are a resident of Broomfield County. There is a $5 fee for a non resident equipment card.
- At age 15 you can participate in unsupervised climb (with an assessed climber or as an assessed climber) without an adult present.
- To take our top rope belay assessment, you need to be 15 or older and have the necessary climbing experience (knots, belay technique, etc). You may participate in an assessment during any supervised climbing time on the schedule.
- To take our lead assessment you must be 18 or older. You may be asked to demonstrate that you can climb a 5.9 without sitting or falling. We also require that you participate in the assessment with a partner. You will be assessed on both lead climbing ability and lead belay. Please contact Melissa at mkenning@Broomfield.org to set up a time for the assessment.
- You must complete a top rope belay assessment and a climbing wall orientation prior to bouldering and using the auto–belay.
- Groups/families of 6 or more climbers will be asked to stagger use to ensure fair climbing opportunities for all. Max number in a group/family during supervised/unsupervised hours is 8. Please see group and private use information below.
Climbing Wall Classes
All participants must sign a climbing wall waiver. Those 18 years and younger must have a parent or legal guardian’s signature. Withdrawal policy for climbing classes: due to small class sizes refunds/credits are only given with at least 72 hours notice.
The Basics is designed to be a great starting point or refresher in understanding gear, knots, and rope handling skills (belay). At the end of class we will provide you with a day pass to come back and take the top rope belay assessment. Participation in this class does not replace the skills assessment required to utilize the wall on your own. All equipment is provided. Please wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. Please be prepared to climb.
Age: 15 years and older
Parent/Tot and Parent/Child Climbing
Children are natural born climbers, and climbing builds confidence and self–esteem. Let us show you how to get your child excited about climbing, with the goal of utilizing the wall outside of class together. The first day of class is just for the adults in the group. While your little ones are at home the first day, you will be learning all about gear, knots and how to belay. Child Sitting is also available for that 1st day (please make a reservation). For the remainder of the session you and your child will interact together, having fun and learning to climb. We will provide a small snack at the end of class for the children. All equipment is provided, please wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. Parents should be prepared to climb. Age: 4–6 years Location: PDRC