Start climbing at The Paul Derda Recreation Center:
Check the climbing schedule (available online & in facility) and join us during supervised climbing hours. Our staff will take care of all the technical aspects for you. Once you have paid the daily entrance fees, supervised climbing is available to you at no additional charge. You will need to be prepared with a waiver and a Broomfield Recreation Services I.D. or equipment card. Please note supervised climbing hours and the staff available are pre–set. You will have to wait in line with other users. If you are concerned with time, you may want to consider a class or a private lesson (additional fees apply).
Check the climbing schedule (available online & in facility) and join us during supervised climbing hours for a top rope belay assessment (daily entrance fees apply). If you complete the top rope belay assessment, the climbing wall will then become available for you to use during both supervised and unsupervised hours. Lead climbing is also available once you have completed a lead assessment. The time frame for completing assessments is dependent on how well you know the information and how busy it is at the wall. We will be assessing climbing skills that you already possess. The Basics class will prepare you if you would like to learn top rope climbing skills. Please allow for plenty of time and understand that you may have to wait if it is busy. If you are concerned with time, you may want to consider a private lesson as an option for the assessment (additional fees apply).
Climbing Wall Notes and Reminders
- All climbers must have a completed waiver and release on file (available online & in facility).
- We provide all equipment needed at no cost. You must have a Recreation Services I.D. card or equipment card in order to check out any equipment. The card is free if you are a resident of Broomfield County. There is a $5 fee for a non resident equipment card.
- During Supervised climb, all climbers 14 years and younger must be accompanied by an adult, 18 years or older, with a completed and current climbing waiver. At age 15 you can participate in supervised & unsupervised climb (with an assessed climber or as an assessed climber) without an adult present.
- To take our top rope belay assessment, you need to be 15 or older and have the necessary climbing experience (knots, belay technique, etc). You may participate in an assessment during any supervised climbing time on the schedule.
- To take our lead assessment you must be 18 or older. You may be asked to demonstrate that you can climb a 5.9 without sitting or falling. We also require that you participate in the assessment with a partner. You will be assessed on both lead climbing ability and lead belay. Please contact Melissa at mkenning@Broomfield.org to set up a time for the assessment.
- You must complete a top rope belay assessment and a climbing wall orientation prior to bouldering and using the auto–belay.
- Groups/families of 6 or more climbers will be asked to stagger use to ensure fair climbing opportunities for all. Max number in a group/family during supervised/unsupervised hours is 8. Please see group and private use information below.
Climbing Wall Classes
All participants must sign a climbing wall waiver. Those 18 years and younger must have a parent or legal guardian’s signature. Withdrawal policy for climbing classes: due to small class sizes refunds/credits are only given with at least 72 hours notice.
The Basics is designed to be a great starting point or refresher in understanding gear, knots, and rope handling skills (belay). At the end of class we will provide you with a day pass to come back and take the top rope belay assessment. Participation in this class does not replace the skills assessment required to utilize the wall on your own. All equipment is provided. Please wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. Please be prepared to climb.
Age: 15 years and older
Movement & Belay Basics
Are you looking for an overall introduction to the basics of climbing? We will cover gear, knots, rope handling skills (belay), and take your climbing a few steps further with some fun endurance building activities. This is a great starter class. All equipment is provided. Please wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. Max Number of Participants per class = 4
Age: 15 years and older
All levels of climbing abilities are welcome. Climbing builds confidence and self esteem. Our instructors will try to meet individual needs. Classes cover everything from how to tie–in and put on a harness, to learning proper and effective movement on the wall. All equipment is provided, please wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. Space is limited. Register early or for continuous sessions.
- 7–8 year olds have a 1:2 ratio
- 9–11 and 12–14 year olds have a 1:3 ratio.
We offer private and semi–private lessons. Let us know what you want to improve on or learn and we will put together a private lesson for you. Contact Melissa at mkenning@Broomfield.org or call 303.460.6915 to set up an appointment. Fees are $40 per hour or $20 per ½ hour. Please note our staff schedules are pre set, we will do our best to accommodate needs.
Parent/Tot and Parent/Child Climbing
Children are natural born climbers, and climbing builds confidence and self–esteem. Let us show you how to get your child excited about climbing, with the goal of utilizing the wall outside of class together. The first day of class is just for the adults in the group. While your little ones are at home the first day, you will be learning all about gear, knots and how to belay. Child Sitting is also available for that 1st day (please make a reservation). For the remainder of the session you and your child will interact together, having fun and learning to climb. We will provide a small snack at the end of class for the children. All equipment is provided, please wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. Parents should be prepared to climb. Age: 4–6 years Location: PDRC
Group and Private Wall UseIf you have a group or family looking to enjoy climbing as an activity together, we can set that up for you. This involves private use of the climbing wall with staff provided to set your group up for success. We will offer a variety of basic activities that are engaging to 1st time climbers as well as fun for someone who has some climbing experience. All climbers must have a waiver completed to participate. If you have a specific goal in mind for your group please contact Melissa at mkenning@Broomfield.org or call 303–460–6915, before registering for a date. Fees include use of the facility for the day. One contact person for the group will need to register and make payment.
Age: 7 years–Adult Location: PDRC
Size of group: Group of up to 10 or Group of up to 5