Oil and Gas Inspection Program . . . . . . . .
- 2015 Annual Report
- Oil and Gas Inspection Report by Well Site:
Summaries of Regulations and Operating Agreement . . . . . . .
- Final Oil and Gas Regulations - Ordinance 1986 - Oil and Gas Land Use
- Summary of Proposed Oil and Gas Regulations
- Summary of Operating Agreement with Sovereign Operating Company LLC
- Use by Special Review Timeline for Sovereign Operating Company LLC
Local Ballot Question and Related Litigation . . . . . . . .
- Order Granting Summary Judgment COGA v. Broomfield
- CO Supreme Court Decision Fort Collins V. GOGA
- CO Supreme Court Decision Longmont V. COGA
- Sovereign District Court Decision
- Charter Amendment (Prohibit the use of Hydraulic Fracturing)
Broomfield's Process . . . . . .
The city's goal is to develop strategy and legally permissible tools that best reflect Broomfield's community values. In order to accomplish the best outcome, Broomfield will work with the community as well as work with any current operators in the city and COGCC. Staff will also utilize resources available through Colorado Higher Education Resources and research other Colorado community efforts to understand lessons they have learned. We will also engage individuals and organizations with technical and legal
subject matterexpertise. Staffhas prepared a matrix that incorporates regulatory activities and outlines MOU requirements from other front range communities.
A summary has been prepared by the City and County Attorney's office regarding the legal issues that have been raised from the requests of concerned residents. The City and County Attorney advises that voluntary agreements among participants are legal and that adopting drilling and operational regulations that go beyond state regulations have a relatively low probability of withstanding
Oil and Gas Information and Resources . . . . . . . .
Oil and gas drilling and production is a broad and complex issue. Below are a few resources that may be useful:
- Oil and gas development in Colorado is regulated primarily by the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC). Visit their website and click on the GENERAL tab located on the left side of the screen to review a list of “Typically asked Questions."
- In 2004, the EPA provided a technical study entitled Evaluation of Impacts to Underground Sources of Drinking Water by Hydraulic Fracturing of Coalbed Methane Reservoirs Study on the impacts to drinking water wells from hydraulic fracturing.
- The State of Colorado Department of Natural Resources is working with the oil and gas industry to protect wildlife and mitigate the impacts of oil and gas drilling.
- The United States Geological Society (USGS) has published information regarding the technically recoverable oil and gas resources in the Denver Basin Province entitled Gas, Oil, and Water Production from Wattenberg Field in the Denver Basin, Colorado.
- Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC) created an information page because of the public’s interest in and concern about the potential impacts of fracking on public health and the environment, including surface and ground water resources.
- The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) website provides information regarding air,
waterand environment waste requirements.
- Developed as a project of the University of Colorado (CU) Law School's Getches-Wilkinson Center (formerly Natural Resources Law Center), the website on best management practices is maintained through grants to CU and its partners.
View the Oil and Gas Inspection Program document.