Belay assessments will not be available Saturday, June 24th, Monday, June 26th or Thursday, June 29.
Start climbing at The Paul Derda Recreation Center:
Check with the front desk for Th Basics class (age 15+), get registered and we will start getting you comfortable with the gear, rope handling skills and knots. Once you are more proficient with these skills, you can participate in a top rope belay assessment.
Check the climbing schedule and join us during our top rope belay skills assessment times. Daily entrance fees apply to attend the assessment. If you complete the assessment, the climbing wall will then become available to you to use most of the hours the facility is open. We will have some limited use during classes. Lead climbing is also available once you have completed a lead assessment. The time frame for completing assessments is dependent on how well you know the information and how busy it is at the wall. We will be assessing climbing skills that you already possess.
Climbing Wall Notes and Reminders
- All climbers must have a completed waiver and release on file (available online & in facility).
- We provide all equipment needed at no cost. You must have a Recreation Services I.D. card or equipment card in order to check out any equipment. The card is free and valid for two years if you are a resident of Broomfield County. There is a $5 fee for a non resident equipment card, good for one year.
- Top Rope Belay/Lead assessments will only be given during designated hours.
- All climbers 14 and under need to be accompanied by an adult 18 or older, with a completed and current climbing waiver. At age 15 you can participate (with an assessed climber or as an assessed climber) without an adult present.
- To boulder & use the Auto Belay, you will need to complete a top rope assessment of skills & wall orientation (age 15+).
- Max number in a group/family during unsupervised hours is 8.
Climbing Wall Classes
All participants must sign a climbing wall waiver. Those 18 years and younger must have a parent or legal guardian’s signature. Withdrawal policy for climbing classes: due to small class sizes refunds/credits are only given with at least 72 hours notice.
The Basics is designed to be a great starting point or refresher in understanding gear, knots, and rope handling skills (belay). At the end of class we will provide you with a day pass to come back and take the top rope belay assessment. Participation in this class does not replace the skills assessment required to utilize the wall on your own. All equipment is provided. Please wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. Please be prepared to climb.
Age: 15 years and older
Parent/Tot and Parent/Child Climbing
Children are natural born climbers, and climbing builds confidence and self–esteem. Let us show you how to get your child excited about climbing, with the goal of utilizing the wall outside of class together. The first day of class is just for the adults in the group. While your little ones are at home the first day, you will be learning all about gear, knots and how to belay. Child Sitting is also available for that 1st day (please make a reservation). For the remainder of the session you and your child will interact together, having fun and learning to climb. We will provide a small snack at the end of class for the children. All equipment is provided, please wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes. Parents should be prepared to climb. Age: 4–6 years Location: PDRC