Charter Review Committee
Charters detail the structure and powers of a local government. Broomfield’s Charter is the document that defines the powers and duties of the Mayor, City Council and the city’s leaders, such as the City and County Manager, Municipal Court Judge, and the City and County Attorney. Broomfield became a City and County in November 2001, and its Home Rule Charter has been in effect since 1974. The Charter Review Committee (CRC) was established to review and analyze the Home Rule Charter, and to advise Council on areas where amendments are desired. The CRC has seven members: five Broomfield residents and two council members. More detail on the structure of the CRC can be found in Resolution 2022-106.
City Council has set the priority of the CRC to be a comprehensive review of the form of government set forth in the Charter. Broomfield currently has a Council-manager form of government, with an elected at-large Mayor and 10 elected council members, two from each ward. The City Council is currently structured to be part-time. The City Council sets policy and adopts the budget, while the City Manager is responsible for the day-to-day activities.
City Council would consider any recommended changes from the CRC, which would require voter approval in an upcoming election.
2023 Initial Appointment
The Character Review Committee is currently seeking five members for its initial appointment. This committee is set to exist from the time of appointment, in early March 2023, until they have written a final recommendation report and provide a presentation to City Council on the recommendations in a public meeting no later than Dec. 1, 2023.
- Broomfield residents ages 18 and older can apply for these vacancies.
- Applications will be open from Jan. 3 to Jan. 31 at 5 p.m.
Meeting information will be added as it is determined.
Agenda and Minutes
Agendas are available one week prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Five residents will be chosen to make up the Charter Review Committee. Apply for this opening Jan. 3 to 31.
Denise Keith, Legal Administrative Assistant
- Review and analyze the Broomfield Charter and provide recommendations to City Council on areas where amendments may be desired. As determined by the CRC, conduct outreach and provide a forum for additional resident and public comments on the Charter review.
- The first priority of this Committee will be evaluating the governance structure of the City and County as set forth in the Charter.
- Prepare ongoing status reports as requested by the City Council on the CRC’s progress.
- Prepare a written final recommendation report and provide a presentation to City Council on the recommendations in a public meeting no later than Dec. 1, 2023.
- Conduct all other acts necessary to assist in the efficient and comprehensive review of the Charter and preparation of the final recommendation report.