You can now make an appointment for Marriage and Civil Union certificates or apply in person at the George Di Ciero City and County Building at 1 DesCombes Drive. Appointment hours are 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
Both applicants must provide the following to obtain a marriage license:
- Proof of age
- Acceptable identification
- Certified State Birth Certificate, Military ID, Alien Registration Card, Passport, VISA, Certificate of Naturalization, Department of Corrections ID.
- State-issued Driver's License or ID. Driver's Licenses or ID cards that indicate "not valid for federal identification" will not be accepted.
- All these forms of ID must be current/valid and include a date of birth to verify that the applicant is of legal age to enter into a marriage.
- Acceptable ID's that are not in English must be accompanied with a certified translation.
- Applicant must complete the Affidavit of No Social Security Number, if they do not have a Social Security Number.
- If an applicant cannot appear in person, the other applicant must apply in person and provide following:
- Absentee Affidavit for Marriage License completed, signed and notarized.
- Unacceptable ID
- Driver's Licenses or ID cards that indicate "not valid for federal identification" will not be accepted.
- Consular Matricula Card, Foreign Voter Registration Card, Foreign Driver's License, Expired document of any type
- $30.00 fee for the license (check, cash or debit/credit card) You may also pre-pay for certified copies of your marriage license when the license is issued. Cost is $1.25 per certified copy.
- Acceptable identification
- Divorced/Dissolved Applicants
If either applicant has previously been married or has previously been party to a civil union, you must provide the following:
- Date of Dissolution/Divorce (month/day/year)
- Place of Dissolution/Divorce (County and State)
- Type of court for the dissolution/divorce
- Name of previous spouse or partner (Civil Union only)
- Widowed Applicants
- Date of death (month/day/year)
- Place of death (City and State)
The following options are available to obtain a marriage certificate in the City and County of Broomfield:
Marriage License Details
- Marriage licenses must be used within 35 days from the date of issue, anywhere in Colorado
- Marriage licenses may be obtained in any county, regardless of where the ceremony will take place in Colorado
- Blood tests are not required.
- After your ceremony or self-solemnization, the completed marriage license/certificate must be returned to the Clerk and Recorder for recording within 63 days.
If you have any questions, please call 303.464.5109
Marriage By Proxy: HB15-1327
Per Colorado Revised Statutes, Section 14-2-109(2), individuals can appoint another party to act as their proxy and complete the marriage process.
- Applicants for a marriage license must be 18 years of age or older.
- HB19-1316-Modernizing Marriage Laws for Minors requires applicants aged 16 or 17 to obtain a Court Order in order to be issued a Marriage License in the state of Colorado. Parental consent is not enough to obtain a Marriage License.
- Applicants aged 15 or younger May Not be issued a Marriage License.
Marriages are prohibited if an applicant is already married or between the following:
- Ancestor and descendant
- Brother and sister
- Uncle and niece
- Aunt and nephew
A marriage may be performed by the following:
- Individuals by Self-Solemnization
- Court Magistrate
- Religious or tribal official authorized to perform a ceremony
- Other public official authorized to perform a ceremony