Civil Union Certificates

Civil Union has been described by the Colorado Legislature as a union between two unmarried persons regardless of their gender.


Save time, apply online for marriage license or civil union licenses.

Apply in Person
Apply for a Civil Union Certificate in person at the George Di Ciero City and County Building at 1 DesCombes Drive.  Appointment hours are 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  • Both applicants must provide the following to obtain a Civil Union Certificate:
  • Proof of identification with date of birth
    • Acceptable Identification:
      • Certified State Birth Certificate, State issued Driver's License or ID, Military ID, Alien Registration Card, Passport, VISA, Certificate of Naturalization, Department of Corrections.
      • All these forms of ID must be current/valid and include a date of birth to verify that the applicant is of legal age to enter into a marriage.
      • Acceptable ID's that are not in English must be accompanied with a certified translation.
      • Applicant must complete the Sworn Statement Affidavit, if they do not have a Social Security number.
    • Unacceptable Identification:
      • Consular Matricula Card, Foreign Voter Registration Card, Foreign Driver's License or Expired document of any type.
  • $30.00 fee for the certificate (cash, check or debit/credit card)
  • If an applicant cannot appear in person, the other applicant must apply in person and provide the following:
    • Absentee application for Civil Union completed, signed and notarized
    • Copy of the absent party's identification

Divorced Applicants or Party previously involved in a Civil Union
  • If either applicant is divorced or has previously been party to a Civil Union, the following information is needed:
  • Exact Date of Divorce, or date Civil Union was dissolved or deemed invalid
  • Place of Divorce or Dissolution of Civil Union (City/State)
  • Type of court for the divorce or dissolution

Widowed Applicants
  • If either applicant is widowed, the following information is needed regarding the deceased spouse or deceased party to a Civil Union:
    • Date of Death (Month/Day/Year)
    • Place of Death (City/State)

Age Requirements
  • Applicants for a Civil Union Certificate must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Adults who have guardians must have notarized permission from their guardian(s) to obtain a Civil Union Certificate.
  • Minors are prohibited from entering into Civil Unions.

  • Civil Unions are prohibited if an applicant is already married, has already entered into a civil union with another person, or between the following:
    • Ancestor or descendant, whether half or whole blood
      • Brother and Sister
      • Uncle and Niece
      • Aunt and Nephew

Civil Union Certificate Details
  • Civil Union Certificate must be used within 35 days from the date of issue, anywhere in Colorado.
  • Civil Union Certificate may be obtained in any county, regardless of where the ceremony will take place in Colorado.
  • Blood Tests are not required, and there is no waiting period.
  • The completed Civil Union Certificate must be returned to the Clerk and Recorder for recording within 63 days after certification.

  • A Civil Union may be performed by the following:
    • Parties to the Civil Union
    • Judge
    • Court Magistrate
    • Religious or tribal official authorized to perform a ceremony
    • Other public official authorized to perform a ceremony

**Please Note** A religious or tribal official is not required to certify a civil union in violation of his or her right to the free exercise of religion guaranteed by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Dissolution of Civil Union
  • The Recording office in the City and County of Broomfield does not provide any legal documents or advice pertaining to dissolution of civil union or legal separation.  Parties would need to contact Broomfield County Courts at 720.887.2100.