Sustainability is a top priority for Broomfield. Sustainability covers a variety of topics like water efficiency, recycling, greenhouse gas reduction and so much more! Through teamwork in the Broomfield community, having a sustainable future can be accomplished.
Upcoming Programs and events
August 13: Broomfield Xeriscape Garden tour
Are you looking for garden inspiration? This tour of the Broomfield Xeriscape Demonstration Garden will highlight water-wise and native plants that you can use at home for a more sustainable landscape. It's free and no registration is required!
- Date: Saturday, August 13 from 9–9:45 a.m.
- Location: Southeast of the George DiCiero City and County Building, One Descombes Dr.
August 20: Composting workshop
Learn practical skills for your home vegetable garden in these hands-on workshops from CSU Extension. Check here for the latest topics like trellising, drip irrigation and more! Registration recommended, but drop ins welcome as space allows.
- Date: Saturday, August 20 from 10–11 a.m.
- Location: Brunner Vegetable Garden, 640 Main St.
- Registration recommended
October 1: Paper Shredding Event
Professional shredding services to safely and securely shred confidential tax, medical and bank forms. There is a limit of three bankers or copy paper-sized boxes, weighing no more than 35 pounds each, per resident or up to three 32-gallon trash bags of already shredded paper. No registration required.
- Date: Saturday, Oct. 1 from 9 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Location: Norman Smith Service Center located at 3001 W 124th Ave.
October 8: Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY: Environmental Services provides this program for Broomfield residents only to dispose of household hazardous waste and electronic waste, free of charge. Information on how to schedule an appointment will be available closer to the event.
- Date: Saturday, Oct. 8 by appointment
Tuesday–Saturday: Waste Oil Recycling
Broomfield residents can participate in the Waste Oil Recycling program operated by the Public Works Fleet Services Division. This year-round program is located at the Norman Smith Service Center at 3001 W. 124th Ave. (just east of Lowell Boulevard).
- Dates: Tuesday–Friday, 8 a.m.–3 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m.–noon
- Location: Norman Smith Service Center, 3001 W. 124th Ave. (just east of Lowell Blvd.)
Monday–Friday: Medication Disposal
Did you know medication needs to be disposed of responsibly? Instead of throwing old prescription or over-the-counter medication into the trash or flushing it down the toilet, let the City and County of Broomfield dispose of medication responsibly year-round!
- Dates: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Location: Broomfield Police Department, 7 Descombes Drive
- The drop-box is located just inside the doors
- Energy Resources
- Does your trash hauler offer recycling of composing?
- Water Rebates @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Keep up to date with Sustainable Broomfield
Sign up for the Sustainability Monthly Newsletter for more information on sustainability events, programs and resources in Broomfield.
Give feedback on sustainability programs
The City Council has set ambitious sustainability goals and needs your input to help reach those targets. Visit the Broomfield Sustainability Hub to dig deeper into various sustainability initiatives and see key dates on how to participate and effect change.
Campaigns in Broomfield
Interested in everything Broomfield has to offer? Check more campaigns below.